Here’s a look at the Republican Party’s platform for Maine for 2018.
Link to the Maine GOP platform
Subsequent posts will address specific points relating to some items. in the following platform.
Ratified by The Maine Republican State Convention, April 22, 2016
Maine Republican Party Platform
Generations of Americans have fought to preserve the Republic, our freedoms, and the American way of life. We appreciate and honor the service of active duty and reserve military, veterans, fire fighters, police officers, sheriffs, first responders and EMTs, and all those who serve our state and nation. Today our Constitutional Republic is threatened by a failure to adhere to the principles put forth in our founding documents. It is only by restoring the principles of Liberty that we can prevent the moral and economic collapse currently unfolding.
I. This platform embraces principles and identifies actions to implement them.
- We proclaim allegiance to the Constitutions of the United States and the State of Maine.
- The Constitutions, both the U.S. and State of Maine, are the framework to which all legislation must adhere. Progressive principles are incompatible with the principles of The Republican Party of the State of Maine.
In order to define the specific policies encompassed by said constitutional principles, be it resolved:
II. The government of Maine exists to preserve and protect certain natural, inherent and inalienable rights endowed by our Creator for the benefit, protection and security of all citizens and future generations. To maintain this doctrine, the U. S. and Maine Constitutions are the framework to which all legislation must conform, therefore we pledge to:
- Defend the individual’s right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Maine and U.S. Constitutions;
- Defend state’s rights as reserved in the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution;
- Defend the sovereignty of the United States
III. The strength of Maine and the United States lies with the rights and responsibilities of the individual:
- The expression of religious faith must not be excluded from the public forum and US military;
- The profits of an individual’s efforts and accumulation of private property belong to the individual;
- Support the assimilation of legal immigrants into Maine society;
- Affirm English as the official language of the State of Maine and the nation.
IV. Capitalism and the free market system encourages individual initiative and a Prosperous economy:
- Promote economic prosperity through sound investment opportunity and a positive business climate;
- Enact Right to Work laws to better stimulate economic growth;
- Provide Health Care through free market solutions;
- Protect ownership of private property which is fundamental to liberty and a strong economy;
- Implement a comprehensive energy policy – removing government obstacles and reducing the cost of energy for Maine families and businesses;
- Eliminate Maine’s income tax.
V. The most effective government is closest to the people and the least intrusive:
- Federalization of the Maine Woods will not be tolerated;
- Municipal Home Rule is to be honored and respected;
- Maine’s colleges and universities should be marketplaces of ideas where any individual’s political and religious beliefs may be expressed and shall be respected;
- Individuals are responsible for decisions affecting their lives and well-being;
- To maintain the safety-net for Maine’s most vulnerable, we support comprehensive welfare reform;
- Support the restoration of local control in education as specified in the Maine Constitution;
- Parents have the right and responsibility to direct their children’s education;
- The best academic opportunities are made possible through educational choice;
- Maine State Government shall not support Common Core State Standards (CCSS), also referred to as Maine Learning Results, and any application of Proficiency Based Learning (PBL) and diploma requirements;
- Protect local food rights and policies;
- Ensure the integrity of the election process.
VI. The family is the foundation and strength of a stable society; therefore, the government must not interfere, but rather support and protect the integrity and rights of the family:
- Promote Family values;
- Marriage is defined as the union of one man and one woman;
- Parents – not government – are most capable and responsible to make decisions in the best interest of their minor children, including medical, disciplinary and educational decisions;
- We believe in the sanctity of human life – from conception to natural death;
- Prohibit the use of state funds for abortions or activities that run counter to the sanctity of human life;
- Support faith-based family resources.
VII. Fiscal restraint and accountability for all levels of government is paramount:
- Work to reduce spending at all levels of government, federal, state, county and local to ensure fiscal stability and minimal debt for future generations;
- Through sound fiscal management reduce the Maine tax burden, including fees;
- Institute zero based budgeting in all programs and require the government and all agencies adhere to the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
VIII. Moving forward Maine Republicans support the following initiatives:
- We encourage all Republican candidates to sign the Taxpayer Protection Pledge, and oppose any and all efforts to increase taxes and fees;
- Reducing the regulations and processes that have a negative impact and place undue burdens on private enterprise;
- Ensure environmental regulations are based upon sound science and recognize the value of Maine’s outdoor heritage;
- Conform the state tax code to the federal tax code to achieve fairness and equity;
- Repeal the Affordable Care Act (Obama Care) and all initiated components;
- Mandatory minimum sentences to protect the innocent and the victims of crime;
- The Office of Program Evaluation & Government Accountability (OPEGA), Maine’s governmental oversight agency and its mission to achieve effective and efficient state government;
- All state quasi-government authorities must be held accountable to the state legislature and the governor;
- Legislation that requires photo identification to vote in the State of Maine;
- Secure the U. S. borders in accordance with current Federal law.
- Repeal taxpayer funding for political campaigns, requiring instead that political candidates raise campaign funds in a manner that is both voluntary and transparent.
- We support the Convention of States Project application which seeks to call an Article V convention limited to only proposing amendments to the U.S. Constitution that impose fiscal restraints on the federal government, limit the power and jurisdiction of the federal government, and terms of office for federal officials and members of Congress.
For too many years, Americans have trusted that our elected officials were working to protect and defend our interests. Without persistent vigilance by the people, this trust is often misplaced. It is therefore incumbent on all of us to stay informed and involved in the American experiment of self governance. Those of us who have united behind the Republican banner invite you to join us in this task and support the Republican candidates for office that uphold these principles.
May God Bless America!